Friday, December 11, 2009

I said, "Let me walk in the field";
God said, "No, walk in the town",
I said, "There are no flowers there";
He said, "No flowers, but a crown."
I said, "But the sky is black,
There is nothing but noise and din",
But He wept as He sent me back,
"There is more," He said, "there is sin."
I said, "But the air is thick,
And smog is veiling the sun"
He answered, "Yet souls are sick,
and your work is yet undone."
I said, "I will miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say";
He answered me, "Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you, or they."
I pleaded for time to be given;
He said, "Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in Heaven
To have followed the steps of your Guide."
I cast one look at the field,
Then set my face to the town;
He said, "My child, do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for a crown?"
Then into His hand went mine,
And into my heart came He;
And I will walk in a light Devine,
The path I had feared to see.

George MacDonald

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good. It puts things into perspective. -Thinking of you guys!

Renee said...

Wow, sometimes we want what we want. This is a great reminder to stay attentive to our Father's voice and follow.
Thanks,
Renee